If you have decided that it’s time for you or a loved to make the move to senior living, you’ll want to know everything possible about the next phase before making plans.
Transitioning to senior independent living, assisted living, or memory care is always a big step — but it doesn’t have to be hard. On this page, our team here at St. Paul’s Senior Services has put together a list of senior living tipsto help you make the move to senior living as seamless as possible. Read on to learn more. Be sure to explore our site and the many great San Diego senior living options available to you and your loved one!
- Do Your Research. In order to pick the right senior living community for your needs or the needs of your loved one, do thorough research on each and every prospective facility. Read up online, make phone calls, take tours, and ask questions. If possible, speak with residents and their families for first-hand insights.
- Know Your Needs. Part of choosing the right senior living community is knowing your own needs or the needs of the senior in your life. This will help you choose a facility that most closely fits your individual medical requirements, extracurricular enjoyments, and other preferences.
- Communicate.Communication is key every step of the senior living process. During the searching stage, it’s important to learn how staff at the assisted living facility communicates with residents, families, and staff at all communities you are touring. Upon settling in, schedule regular visits to make sure all needs are being met in the current senior living situation.
- Plan Ahead. Don’t wait until the last second to start making any of the above steps. Planning ahead for senior living will help ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible, and that the choice you make is the right one. From a financial standpoint, it’s a good idea to meet with a financial advisor early on in the planning process to create a financial plan and address your future senior living needs. Check with the prospect senior living community about their financing options. This will help you make the right decision for your budget as well as your living needs.
How to Choose an Assisted Living Community
Choosing a senior living community can seem daunting. There are number of factors to consider, and a big choice to be made. At St. Paul’s Senior Services, we’re here to help. As San Diego’s leaders in senior care, we are passionate about helping seniors and their families live the happiest and healthiest lives possible. Below, we’ve put together a short introductory guide on how to choose an assisted living community.
- Assess Individual Needs. Whether you are looking for an assisted living community for yourself or searching a space for a senior in your life, assess individual needs before all else. What medical conditions do you or your senior loved one have? How much space do you need? Do you have special dietary needs? Are you in need of memory care? What’s your budget? Assessing needs such as these before beginning your search can help you quickly narrow down your top senior living community choices.
- Ask Questions and Prepare a Checklist. Doing your research is an essential part of finding the right assisted living community. A big part of doing your research is asking questions. Ask friends and coworkers if they have recommendations for senior living communities in your area. Make calls and speak with staff at prospective communities. Schedule a tour and follow a checklist [CB1] of things to look for and ask the staff and residents.
- Plan for the Future.A senior’s needs will always change with time. Just because a community is a good fit at present, it doesn’t mean it will be the right fit several years down the road. When choosing a senior living community for yourself or your loved one, consider the future. The best of the best senior living communities offer care options for seniors with a wide range of needs and can accommodate growing medical needs.
Get more senior living tips and information on how to choose an assisted living community — contact our team here at St. Paul’s Senior Services today! Our helpful team can guide you through the process and tell you more about our assisted living communities, St. Paul’s Plaza in Chula Vista and St. Paul’s Villa in the Banker’s Hill neighborhood of downtown San Diego.